Sunday, August 29, 2010

Mountain Barbecued Grilled Onions

Onions on the barbecue are one of my favorite summer side dishes!
My Aunt Joyce prepared these amazing dishes for us this year when we visited her at her summer cabin at Strawberry Lake.

Here is her not-so-secret recipe:

Ingredients:

2 large onions, sliced
2 t olive oil
garlic powder
coarse ground pepper
salt (optional)

Directions:

Place sliced onions, olive oil, garlic powder, pepper, and salt in a Tupperware bowl, and seal with a well-fitting lid. Shake!

Grill on low for 7-10 minutes, until slightly browned. Enjoy with family and/or good friends! Yum!

I couldn't resist a picture of what was smokin' on the grill!!!

In order to keep the fatty dressings to a minimum, she sprinkles fresh ground pepper and garlic salt on the salad.
Home-grown yellow squash, green bell peppers, zucchini and mushrooms receive the same treatment as the onions. Drizzle, and shake, shake, shake!
After a day of hard play, everyone needs a great meal!


Good food at family gatherings is the essence of life!
I love this picture, because it shows how excited the boys are about a good, healthy meal! I can sleep well at night knowing that I am feeding my kids the kind of food that nourishes their growing bodies. I love grilling - it is a healthy method in cooking. The most amazing thing about grilling is the smell... much more effective in gathering large crowds than a dinner bell!

6 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...

The salad looks marvelous and it doesn't look greasy at all.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great meal, the grilled onions look excellent!

Pam said...

Everything looks amazing, especially the grilled onions.

Heather S-G said...

Oh, fun times! The onions sound pretty amazing...and anything from the grill is good with me =)

Dana Fallentine said...

Thanks for the compliments! I want my kids to have their favorite recipes documented. I am hoping to have them all in a cookbook by the time my oldest goes off to college!

Karen said...

Grilled onions are so great with a barbecued meal! They look delicious!