Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Steel Cut Oatmeal

This is a healthy heart pleaser!

Use real steel cut oats - I buy mine in the bulk section at Henry's. This breakfast is nutritious and inexpensive. I sometimes add flax or protein powder when I am toasting the oats.
Ingredients

* 1 tablespoon butter
* 1 cup steel cut oats
* 3 cups boiling water
* 1/2 cup whole milk
* 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon low-fat buttermilk
* 1 tablespoon brown sugar
* 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

Directions

In a large saucepot, melt the butter and add the oats. Stir for 2 minutes to toast. Add the boiling water and reduce heat to a simmer. Keep at a low simmer for 25 minutes, without stirring.

Combine the milk and half of the buttermilk (I usually use 2% milk) with the oatmeal. Stir gently to combine and cook for an additional 10 minutes. Spoon into a serving bowl and top with remaining buttermilk, brown sugar, and cinnamon.

This is one of my favorite breakfasts when I add fresh fruit! My kids love to eat oatmeal this way, and it keeps their little tummy full until lunch time!

5 comments:

Jhonny walker said...

Hey...you in SD? me too...oh almst forgot to say...this looks really good...but see milk does not suit me...so will have just have go with looking at it
:)

chow and chatter said...

yummy, love oats did you see the cranachan post ?

♥peachkins♥ said...

I love this! this is the perfect breakfast..

theUngourmet said...

I love oatmeal for breakfast. It's so hearty and yummy. The fresh fruit looks terrific!

Chef E said...

I remember the first time I had oatmeal like this was in Ireland...you get hooked, and that fruit on top is sending me into the kitchen...