Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Dutch Oven Pot Pie

My 15-year-old son, Josh is a Boy Scout! He loves to camp, hike, bike, kayak, etc. Anything outdoors is right up his ally! This is a recipe from his Scout leader, Joseph Benson whom he has spent many days with camping. This summer they hiked Havasu Pie... yes - all the way down the Grand Canyon and back up again!
This Troop 601's favorite dutch oven meal:

Dutch Oven Pot Pie

1 onion
2-3 chicken breast
1 big can cream of mushroom
1 big can cream of chicken
1 can chicken broth
1 bag frozen mixed vegetables
1 bag frozen peas
1 bag frozen potatoes/fries/hashbrowns
salt and pepper
Worcestershire sauce to taste
2 cans of biscuits or Bisquick

Fry onion and chicken until cooked. Add everything else except biscuits. Cook until boiling. Once boiling add biscuits to top. Put lid on. Put coals on top to bake biscuits.

Trick: Pre-bake the potatoes. Otherwise need to boil mixture until potatoes are cooked before adding biscuits.
I recently tasted this long talked about meal at an Enrichment Meeting. I have to say that I was very impressed! This is one good meal that can be cooked over the camp fire!

6 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...

That looks super! I have been thinking to get a Dutch oven...but it's time!

Pam said...

I love pot pies! Yours looks outstanding.

♥peachkins♥ said...

This just looks divine!

Sharon said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE pot pie! Yum

Heather S-G said...

Wonderful!! I think it looks delicious =)

Anonymous said...

What a delicious and super comforting pot pie, yum!