Sunday, September 12, 2010

Going Bananas Birthday Cake

My youngest is obsessed with Monkeys so when I saw this cake I knew
I HAD to make it for his birthday.

1-3 cake mixes depending on how many cakes/cupcakes you want to make.  I mixed it up using 1 Vanilla Bean, 1 chocolate and 1 white cake mix.  I just made each cake separately
Chocolate frosting - you can make your own or just buy the chocolate frosting at the store (2 jars)
Keebler Fudge Stripe Cookies (you only need a few but I am SURE your family will enjoy the extras)
Junior Mints
Vanilla Frosting
Yellow Food Coloring
Mini Oreos 
Chocolate Mini M&M's

Make the mixes according to instructions.  For the cupcakes fill 3/4 full.  For the cakes I just used my stainless steel bowls.  I greased them liberally with Crisco and flour then filled them a little over half full and put them on a cookie sheet to bake.  You have to watch the cakes depending on how full you fill the bowls.  Start with 20 minutes and check then go from there.  I used a long skewer to see if it was fully cooked.  When the cakes are done, let them cool then cut the top so it is flat and will lay on a plate.  Once on the plate frost with the chocolate frosting.  It is MUCH easier if the cake is very cold or frozen.  Then add the piping for the hair (I used a Ziploc bag with chocolate frosting but you could be more fancy about it), cut the cookies in half and add the ears, put on the eyes and with your vanilla frosting with barely any yellow food coloring make the mouth.  Use the same piping for the nose and mouth.

For the cupcakes frost when cool or cold then break apart the Oreo's and add the ears.  Add the M&M's then frost the mouth with the yellow frosting and pipe on the hair and the nose and mouth.  Get plenty of wipes ready because these puppies are messy.  Enjoy!


3 comments:

Dana Fallentine said...

Those are some of the most adorable cakes I have ever seen! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the monkeys!

Barbara said...

Those are really cute! I bet your son loved them. It's always such fun to have individual cakes like that.
They look fairly easy to make as well.

Monet said...

How adorable! These little cakes are just precious and I'm sure any child (or adult) would love them!