Sunday, September 28, 2008

Rick and I have a favorite Thai restaurant in Hillcrest and I always order the same peanut chicken dish. They serve it on a bed of fresh uncooked spinach and then with rice. I'm definitely going to do that next time. I've been trying out many chicken satay recipes hoping to find one similar to it. I finally found it!! I'll post pictures next time.
Chicken Satay
1 pound boneless chicken
1 c. unsweetened coconut milk
2 TB brown sugar
2 TB fish sauce
1 TB ground coriander seed
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp turmeric
Mix together. Refrigerate 2 hours. Grill 4-6 minutes per side
Spicy Peanut Sauce
1 14 oz. can unsweetened coconut milk
1 TB brown sugar
1 TB Thai red curry paste
1 TB fish sauce
1 tsp. grated fresh ginger
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 c. crunch peanut butter
In a small saucepan, combine all ingredients through garlic over medium heat. Bring to simmer and cook for 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low and stir in peanut butter. Cook 3 more minutes. Serve warm.
This sauce is not spicy but flavorful. Maybe because the curry paste that I use is mild. If you want it spicy add a spicier curry paste or add red pepper flakes.

2 comments:

Sharon said...

What's the name of the restaurant? This sounds delicious!

Dana Fallentine said...

Hi Sharon,

Maren says its called AMARIN, off Richmond & University, less than 1 block away from their Golden Spoon shop.