A friend of mine recently served this delicious chicken at a dinner party, and I had to try it for myself. This chicken is easy to prepare, and so tender and juicy!
Soda Can Chicken
1 Whole Chicken (4 to 5 lb size)
1/2 Cup Kosher Salt
1/2 Cup Sugar
1/2 Cup Ground Black Pepper
1/2 Cup Paprika
1 Can Soda (ginger ale, or flavored cola) - I used Cherry Coke Zero
1. Preheat gas grill to 400 to 450 degrees. Mix all dry ingredients and rub liberally on the chicken.
2. Open the can of soda and pour out about 1/2 cup. Punch some extra holes in the top of the can with a knife to make sure the soda flavoring spreads evenly through the chicken.
3. Place chicken on the can so that it is standing up with the legs pointing down.
4. Cook the chicken on the grill using indirect heat. If you are using a gas grill, turn off the burners on one side and place the chicken on this side.
5. Close the grill and cook the chicken for about 40 to 45 minutes, then rotate the chicken to ensure even cooking and cook for 40 minutes more. Avoid opening the grill and peeking in at the chicken.
6. Once it is done, the chicken should be almost black. Remove the chicken from the grill and let it site upright - still on the can - for 15 minutes. After it has rested, remove skin, carve, and serve.