Oh Divine! This is sure to hit the spot at any gathering around the world!
Quiche makes a great picnic at the beach dish.
1 sheet puff pastry
4 slices of bacon
1 1/2 cups milk
pinch of nutmeg
pinch of cayenne pepper
1 1/2 cups swiss cheese
1. Cook bacon in microwave for 4 minutes (on plate between several paper towels). Blot bacon with more paper towels and cut it into 1/2-inch slices.
2. Trim bottom and several inches of the green tops off of the leeks. Slice the leek all the way lengthwise into two halves. Holding the layers of the halves together, carefully rinse all the dirt out in between the layers. Once clean, thinly slice the leeks (about 1/8-1/4 inch slices). Sauté leeks in a little butter or a little water--steaming them until soft.
3. Combine eggs, milk, nutmeg and cayenne pepper.
4. Roll out puff pastry into 11-inch square. Fit into 9-inch glass pie plate. You can trim and reshape the edge.
5. Put bacon, leeks and cheese in pastry shell. Pour in egg mixture.
6. Bake 375 degrees for 40 minutes, or until golden brown.