Monday, May 4, 2009

Cafe Rio - Enchilada Style Burritos

I know there are some similar recipes that have been posted here, but we LOVE this dinner and I had to share it.  I originally got this recipe from my friend, Katie Brown, and I have tweaked a few things to my liking.

Cafe Rio - Enchilada Style Burritos
1 1/2 LB Pork Loin
about 9 Uncooked Flour Tortillas
2 - 15oz cans Mild Green Chili Enchilada Sauce
1/4 cup Brown Sugar
1 - 15oz can Black Beans
1 bunch of cilantro, chopped
2 cups Monterey Jack Cheese, grated
1 cup rice
1 1/2 cups chicken broth

(Cilantro chopping tip - use your kitchen shears to cut it from the bunch.)

1.  Cut pork into cubes and place in slow cooker with 1/3 Cup Water.  Season with salt, pepper, and Garlic Salt.  Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.  Remove from cooker and drain.  Shred meat with a fork and place in a bowl.  In another bowl mix about 1/2 cup of the enchilada sauce and brown sugar until combined.  Pour over pork, mix well.

2.  For Rice: cook in chicken broth instead of water.  Cook just as you would if you were cooking in water.

3.  Drain and rinse beans.

4.  Cook tortillas on a heated skillet over medium heat until blistered.


5.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray a 9x13 pan with non-stick spray.  Pour 1/2 cup enchilada sauce into the pan.

6.  Assemble burritos by layering
 pork, rice, cheese, beans, and cilantro.  I try to keep mine small, although some people like to make giant burritos.  I like them small because you can really taste the combination of flavors while eating them.  


7.  Roll up and place in pan.  Continue until pan is full.  Top with remaining enchilada sauce and cheese.

7.  Bake for about 30 minutes until bubbly and cheese is melted.

6 comments:

Dana Fallentine said...

I am always up for any kind of Cafe Rio recipe!

Marianne said...

Oh...That looks SO yummy! I love all the great recipes you all have here!

Tollestrup Family said...

Yummy! I am on a mission to recreate their entire menu until they open a Cafe Rio down here! I hope you don't mind if I copy but I put this meal on my meal calendar to try. It looks fabulous!

The Duo Dishes said...

Delicious!!!! It's all that fresh cilantro that does it.

The Diva on a Diet said...

Oh man, these look sooo good! I wish I'd seen this recipe yesterday so I could have it for dinner tonight! LOL

Leanne said...

Really enjoyed this! Thank you.